Sunday, December 30, 2018

Trying to connect the dots from there to here

Sometimes I look back my blog with a certain sadness, in that, although I once had documented almost every adventure I took, now I seldom write them down.

I think back to the things I never fully documented: 
• Hiking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
• All those little trips and experiences in India
• Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend
• Zion... three times
• Making it up Half Dome
• Going to Portugal... twice
• Spending two weeks in Estonia
• Many many more weeks and experiences in Ireland
• Trekking through Patagonia
• Putting on a DIY hackers workshop in Poland
• Swimming in the beautiful waters of Havasupai
• Dabbling in the startup world
• Biking through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein
• Adventuring around Italy and the Dolomites for the, let's say, 20th time
• Conducting research on grasshoppers in Slovenia
• Flying in hot air balloons in Cappadocia and seeing my new baby nephew
• Summiting the highest mountain in Germany on a 14-hour push
• Moving to Germany, and everything that has happened there in the last 4 years; all the little and big adventures, and the beautiful people I've encountered. 

These were just off the top of my head. I feel like by not fully capturing and documenting them, they won't be fully captured and documented in my memory. I feel like this because I can look back on some of my writings from Scotland, almost 10 years ago, and feel like I was there. Whereas there are other equally impactful experiences that I remember in more of a piece-like fashion. I wonder what the connection between written text combined with photos has for memory on the neural level. If I am building stronger connections to the events and my memory by documenting them; it must be.

The point is, I'd like to start writing some more trip reports. I can't imagine making this a daily habit again, because it simply takes so much time to produce an entry. Though, it would be nice, I'd have to really make an effort to make that happen. On the other hand, writing up the occasional adventure and sharing some photographs seems to be much more feasible. 

We'll see. Let's start now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment